Tuesday, April 15, 2008
Twelve reasons I should be dead by now
1. I was a latch-key kid, starting from the time when I was eight. I wore our front door key on a chain around my neck. We took it literally.

2. I rode my bicycle with no helmet, skateboarded with no pads and jumped off the high dive.

3. I went to the pool with no sunscreen. My elders laid around baking in coconut oil.

4. I left home for hours at a time, roaming the neighborhood and playing with my friends.

5. I rode around in the bed of the truck, sometimes sitting up on the wheel well.

6. I drank Kool-aid with cups of real sugar in it.

7. I rarely wore a seat belt; it was more of a novelty. My favorite place was straddling the hump and hanging between the two front seats so I could listen in on the conversation up front.

8. I played with pocket knives. Our favorite game was a game of chicken which consisted of trying to land the knife blade down in the grass near your opponent's foot.

9. I skied with no poles at the age of eight, down the adult slopes. Then I grew up and discovered fear.

10. I sat in the car by myself (or with my little brother) while my mom went into the store, sometimes for twenty minutes or more at a time.

11. I rode my first motorcycle at age nine.

12. I lived in a house with medicines with screw off caps.

Now, you tell me how lawyers and the 24-hour news cycle has improved our lives. And while you're at it...get off of my lawn!