Thursday, June 05, 2008
Hello, Handsome
I'm pleased to make your acquaintance, Mr. Oxycodone. You see, I hate pain. I really really hate pain. The nice doctor put a severe hurtin' on me today and you and I are going to be fast friends for a little while.

I had the follow-up on my foot today. Which would actually be better described as the main event. The doc started with a shot of lidocaine. And let me tell you, that hurt like a SON-OF-A-BITCH!!! I'm a tenderfoot anyway. I never run around barefoot and my feet are very sensitive. That freakin' shot had me writhing around in pain on the table. I actually knocked my glasses and my Palm Pilot case onto the floor.

Then came the "operation." Basically he reamed out a hole in my foot. Looking for a foreign object which the cyst had grown around. Think of it like a grain of sand in an oyster. He never found anything he was sure of, but I'm left with a big hole in my foot, over a centimeter wide. He calls it an ulcer. He didn't stitch it because he said there was nothing there to stitch with. Gross. So now I just have an open wound which needs to be packed and carefully tended until it heals. Gross again.

I've been so repulsed all week about what's been going on with my foot that it was working on me psychologically. I was freaking out at what he was doing to me, to the point where I was sweating. I hate that numbing thing where you don't feel the pain but you can still feel the pressure and pulling of what they're doing. I first encountered that with my c-section. Freaky, and entirely undesirable.

Anyway, he asked me if I'd ever had any serious painkillers. I told him I took Darvocet when I had my c-section. He scoffed, "That's not a serious, painkiller." "Um, well then, no." He prescribed Tylox. Here's the kicker though. There's no pharmacy in our county. And there wasn't enough time in the day to drive over the mountains to get the prescription filled. Plus, before he was done he had told me fifteen times that I needed to get the foot elevated immediately. And, oh yeah, I needed to get a tetanus shot too.

I go for a follow-up at 8:00 a.m. tomorrow so the doc can see how the wound is doing. Then I'm supposed to go straight to the Health Department for my Tetanus w/Pertussis shot.

Blech. This whole situation blows because I have a vacation day tomorrow and I had planned to take Emma to see Noni and Popi. I had no idea this foot thing would be so serious. Anyway, right now I'm grooving on some leftover Tylox from M's last mega-toothache. Thank goodness for that. Otherwise I'd have been stuck with Tylenol until I could get my script filled tomorrow. Now I know what real painkillers feel like. Right now my foot feels neutral (still have some numbness wearing off) and the rest of me feels pretty groovy. Wish me luck getting through tonight!