Friday, June 06, 2008
Vacation day
We're at Noni's now.

My vacation day began with an 8:00 a.m. doctor's appointment so he could get a look at my foot. Everything looked fine. My next follow-up is Wednesday. He said I could shower in about two days. In the meanwhile I could give the foot a soapy water bath.

Next we drove over to the Health Department so I could get my Tetanus/Pertussis shot. Most "public health" vaccinations are given there and not at the medical center. I have no idea why. The Tetanus shot was a breeze after the fiery hell of the lidocaine shots yesterday. So far the arm is feeling OK. I'm sure the pain medication I'm on helps.

Walking is no fun right now. I basically have to walk on the outside edge of my foot, limping along like an old lady.

M volunteered to drive Emma and I to Noni's and dump us off for the weekend. It would be nearly impossible for me to meet all of Emma's needs if I were at home by myself. We stopped by the store and then went home to pack. I took a shower, because I'm not waiting two damn days for that. I put my foot in a gallon ziplock bag and we taped it to my leg with stretchy packaging tape. It worked like a charm. M took his shower while I packed and by 11:15 we were on our way.

The drive was awful. I usually drive because I get queasy on the mountains if I'm a passenger. Since I had just taken a dose of the oxycodone I couldn't drive. So my head was loopy and my stomach was queasy at the same time. All I wanted to do was close my eyes but if I did that I immediately felt ten times as sick. It was a very very long trip over the mountains.

We stopped at McDonalds for lunch and then went to Costco to have my prescription filled. Meanwhile M shopped for the store. By about 3:00 p.m. we made it to Noni's and I was finally able to put my foot up and relax. I sat in the chair for about two and a half hours till suppertime. Sometimes being a gimp has it's plus side.

The pain comes and goes. The worst is when I'm walking. Then when I sit down and prop the foot the pain almost goes away. Until I get the surprise stabbing pain. Hate those.

Tomorrow I plan to attempt more shopping. I do have a list of things I need so I'm fairly motivated to get some stuff done. We'll see how it goes.