Monday, July 07, 2008
Pop's Cake Recipe
Julie, the reason I've stalled on this so long is because there's no official recipe. I'm going to post what I know and I'll let my family correct me. Then maybe I'll get it right for you.

You start by making white cake in layer pans. We use 9" or 8" round. Any store bought mix will do.

For icing you use white confectioners sugar, two tablespoons of melted butter, and milk. You will need at least a box of confectioners sugar, so I usually buy the bigger bag. You have to mix it to a consistency you can spread without tearing up the cake and without it being runny. My suggestion is to start with how much sugar you think you'll need to cover a cake, mix in the melted butter, and then slowly add the milk. It's easier to add more milk than to add more sugar. Spread it between the layers and on the cake. You might want to use toothpicks to keep the top layer in place. Put the cake in the fridge for a little while till the icing hardens up a bit.

Next you'll need bitter chocolate. We use the chocolate squares. I think it takes four to six squares (not rectangles). Make absolutely sure it's unsweetened chocolate (we use Baker's unsweetened chocolate) and not bittersweet. You need the bitter chocolate to counter the super-sweetness of the icing. You'll also need a two tablespoons of melted butter (or margarine). Melt the chocolate squares in the microwave. Add the melted butter and stir thoroughly. Then pour the mixture over the entire top surface of the cake. When the surface is covered dribble the chocolate all around the edges to make streaks down the sides. Set cake in the refrigerator so the chocolate can harden. You don't have to keep it in the fridge, just give it time to set and you're done.

It should look something like this, this, or this.

Labels: