Tuesday, July 22, 2008
"That's bad manners!"
"You did bad manners twice. You need to say you're sorry."

"Say, Emma, I'm sorry."

It's like living with Emily Post. Unfortunately she doesn't actually get the nuances of what's actually bad manners. If I tell her to do anything...for example, "Emma, sit down so I can buckle you in"...that's bad manners. I'm being bossy. I tried to explain to her that grown-ups need to tell kids what they should do so they learn good manners themselves. She doesn't seem to be convinced. Meanwhile I'm living with hypersensitive Miss Manners.

Today in the car I got fussed at for "erupting," which is actually "interrupting" to you and me. I tried to explain to her that if she says something and then stops, then I can speak. It's like taking turns. She claimed she still had something to say. I'm trying to make her understand that talking when someone else is talking is actually interrupting.

Don't worry about us, we'll get it sorted out. I should just be glad she cares about manners at all, right?