Friday, September 05, 2008
Blub, blub, blub
Yesterday on the way home from Mary's Emma wanted to play a game. I was supposed to Dorothy, Elmo's goldfish. She'd be a little girl and she wanted to show me how to drink water. She'd say, "Dorothy, this is how I drink water," and then she'd take a swig from her water bottle (You'd have to see a segment of Elmo's World to get this). I was instructed to say "Blub, blub, blub." That was my only line.

"Dorothy, this is how I drink my water." She drinks.

Me, looking in the rearview, "Blub, blub, blub."

"Dorothy, do you need anything?"

"Blub, blub."

"would you like some food?"

Shaking my head "yes" "Blub, blub, blub, blub, blub."

She mimics putting food in my bowl. Then we do a few more sequences of her showing me how she drinks and her feeding me. As we're getting closer to home I'm trying to think of how to wrap this up.

"Dorothy, is there anything you need?"

I mimic laying my head down on my hands. "Blub, blub, blub."

"Do you want to take a nap?"

I nod yes, "Blub, blub."

"Do you want to lay down in bed?"

I nod no, "Blub, blub, blub, blub."

"Do you want to lay down on the couch?"

I nod no, "Blub, blub, blub."

"Do you want to lay down on the sleeping bag?"

I nod no, "Blub, blub, blub, blub."

"Do you want to lay down on the floor?"

I nod no, "Blub, blub, blub."

"Dorothy! Where do you want to lay down?"

We're pulling into the driveway so I finally break character, "My fish bowl?"

She skips three beats...

"Oh...well that makes sense."