Wednesday, October 01, 2008
Choose your drama
Lately Emma has been picking the lamest and most inexplicable stuff to throw hysterics over. Real tears, clinging, pleading, the whole bit. Tonight it was triggered by me mentioning that we'd be taking cupcakes to her school because she'll be going to school on her birthday (next Thursday). They're even going on a field trip that day so M. and I were going to try to break away from work to go along. Emma doesn't want to have her birthday at school. That was the trigger. I tried to explain that she'd also have a pizza supper and cupcakes that night with us at home. Grandma and Uncle K will be there too. She kept wailing, "I don't want to have my birthday at school." She also seems to think that she won't get any cupcakes. Then I added that Noni and Popi and Uncle K's family were going to come over that Sunday for a princess party. That didn't help a bit. She never calmed down until I conceded that she wasn't having her birthday at school (I lied).

But the absolute lamest reason for a meltdown happened in the car this morning. As we were pulling out of the driveway Emma wanted to know if there were any cows in the road. I told her "no" and made some reference to them being Billy's cows. She got all upset because she doesn't have any cows. I tried to explain to her that it was a blessing none of those cows were hers. Cows are stupid and poop all the time. She wanted a cow. I told her she'd have to take that up with her daddy. She cried real tears over not having a cow of her own. Honestly, sometimes I wonder if she's actually related to me.

Labels: