Wednesday, November 12, 2008
Shitter's full!
OK, my deepest apologies for the indelicate post title. But I had to. It's an inside joke. That's M favorite line from his all-time favorite Christmas movie, National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. He giggles like a schoolgirl every time that scene comes up. It's where the unwelcome brother-in-law of Chevy Chase's character is found in the street in the dark in a too-short bathrobe with a cigar between his teeth pumping the effluent from his camper into the storm drain in the street. That line is the brother-in-law's greeting. This is a classic role for Randy Quaid.

Anyway...the reason I posted this nonsense is the septic tank in the house we're renting needed to pumped. There's a suspicious verdant area outside the front gate that's a bit swampy. We haven't had rain here in more than three weeks so it's very suspicious. M called our landlord with his guess for the source of our little jungle. To her credit she got right on it. M dug and found the lid to the tank yesterday. The landlord promised that the septic company would come Friday. Good deal, we'd both be at work.

Except...they didn't come on Friday. The dude in his little tank truck showed up this afternoon, my afternoon off to be at home. I had just sat down with my lunch when he pulled up. Oh no! I nearly panicked.

In the end it turned out to be no big deal. The house is sealed up (or as sealed as an old farmhouse with no insulation can be). I can honestly say I didn't smell a thing. Goes to show what a real professional can do for you sometimes.