Tuesday, January 27, 2009
A respectful tone
We're having a challenge lately with the way Emma talks to us. A lot of the time she sounds super-bossy. She sounds like she's ordering us around, and it sounds very disrespectful. She especially does it to her Daddy a lot. We're trying to get right on this.

The problem is that it's a process that needs a lot of repetition. It's not like she's born knowing what respectful and disrespectful means. So first you have to try to make her recognize the concept. Then she needs to remember it and remember to practice it. This is what is taking time. I am not going to raise a daughter that sounds snotty when she speaks to me, I just won't have it. I think this is going to take a lot of work.

On a semi-related note last night in her room she said, "I command you to cover me up with the blanket!" I almost laughed out loud. I had to wonder where I'd heard that before. M reminded me that it's one of Plankton's favorite phrases on SpongeBob Squarepants. ("I command you...")