Sunday, February 15, 2009
Horrible night
Don't you love it when people break their blog silence to bitch? But, OMG, last night was so horrible. I woke at 1:10 a.m. with awful pain in my upper abdomen. I'm pretty sure it was just gas, but damn it hurt, and being pregnant there was nothing I could take for it. I got up and took Tums, but they didn't make a dent. Later I even tried popsicles to try and kill the burning. I hurt every which way I turned. I couldn't lay down, I couldn't sit, and walking around all night wasn't the most attractive option. I had this happen the last day of our beach vacation in August and it last for hours. I finally got desperate enough to kill the pain that time that I took an oxycodone. That didn't even cure it (but my head felt great!)

At around 3:30 a.m. I was desperate enough to call the 24/7 Nurseline that Anthem Insurance offers to ask what I should do. They're next to worthless, really. Since they're nurses they can't recommend medications. After doing a question/answer assessment with the nurse on the phone his commendation was that I go to the ER. Okaaay. I'm all over that. Let me wake up my entire family and drive them an hour and half over the mountains to go sit in an ER for hours while this problem works itself out. All I want is relief now! When I balked at that he suggested I call my OB (at 3:45 a.m.) and have him make the decision for me. Yeah, I wasn't really up for that either, but damn, I wanted the pain to go away.

After the phone call I decided to take a hot shower and let the water massage my belly and back. I was so tense from the pain that my entire body was rigid. The shower actually helped me relax a bit. I even tried to turn my shower into a bath, something I never do (baths aren't my favorite). Unfortunately my belly stuck out of the water so that was no help. I got back up and turned on the shower and stayed under the hot running water until it ran out. In the end I felt more relaxed and my pain felt like it had abated a bit.

After the shower I got dressed and sat back in my new comfy rocking chair. I covered up with a blanket and rocked myself to sleep. I think I slept from 5:00 a.m. to 6:44 a.m., then the dogs woke me up. I let them out and back in and then went to bed. I was able to sleep until I smelled bacon cooking, around 9:00 a.m.

Today I feel very fatigued. I started with pancakes, praying that they wouldn't hurt me. So far so good. Now I'm just really anxious and chastened about eating too much, or eating the "wrong" things. I can't take too many more nights like that.