Wednesday, February 10, 2010
Check-up Report
M drove me to our appointment this morning since we were under a Blizzard warning. They made it sound imminent, but it wasn't. At any rate, this was the first time he attended and appointment for Jack.

It went well. Jack is healthy and happy and the doctor had no quibbles. We found out the reason Jack's nose is always orange in his pictures is that he has carotenemia. The doctor actually pointed it out before we asked. He noticed the orangey coloration in Jack's skin. He said it comes from Jack eating his veggies. Carotene is available in more veggies than you would imagine so he's getting a good dose of it now. He said Jack will gradually outgrow the carotenemia and his skin color will lose the orange cast. Like I said, you mostly see it in his nose anyway.

He weighed 18 lbs. and 15 oz. I would have sworn he was over 20 lbs. But no. This puts him in the 18th or 19th percentile for weight. He eats well and doesn't turn his nose up at anything so the doctor is satisfied that he's eating enough. He's 28.5" tall which puts him in the 50th percentile for height. The doctor thinks he'll be long and lanky.

All in all it was a good appointment. Jack did get two shots he missed at 6 months when they did the flu shots instead. He yelled loud but recovered in about 30 seconds. I bummed some steri-strips from the nurses because one of my wounds from my operation isn't healing properly and I wanted it to hold until my follow-up on Friday. The doctor and the nurse were happy to help me out.

I was glad M got the chance to see how thorough the pediatrician is. Now he better understands why I think it's worth it to travel to another state for care.