Friday, February 26, 2010
Pocket Pocket God
I love my iTouch. There is so much to do with it. It's quickly become a necessary sidekick for me. I've bought lots of apps based on rave reviews. Some I like, some not so much. One app I bought, based on the rave reviews, was "Pocket God." They describe it thusly:
If you were a GOD what kind of god would you be? Benevolent or vengeful? Play Pocket God and discover the answer within yourself.

On a remote island, you are the all-powerful god that rules over the primitive islanders. You can bring new life, and then take it away just as quickly. Exercise your powers on the islanders. Lift them in the air, alter gravity, hit them with lightning...you're the island god!

It's kinda cute because the islanders, the pygmies, are cute and they adore you because...well...you're God. But most of the gameplay involves the pygmies being expendable. They fall in the ocean and drown, they burn up, the zombies get them, the shark gets them...all this is controlled by you. Me, I get a twinge of conscience killing off digital pygmies. I've played with it enough to know my way around. But it doesn't really capture me.

So imagine my surprise when my five year-old discovered the game and found killing off pygmies to be HILARIOUS! She giggles her butt off as the pygmies meet their fate. She thinks they're cute, too, but `"they're so funny when they go splat!" It's hard to convey how funny she finds all of this. Now that twinge I feel worry that my daughter is having too much fun at this.